Sunday, September 22, 2013

From Crappy to Happy!

I wasn't expecting this project to throw me for a loop, but it did. As I perused the different artistic interpretations of books on the internet, I was unaware of how hard it would be to make something amazing, especially since I figured I would only be able to do something mediocre. Even with that, I still wanted to create something that reflected the creative person within. But when it was all said and done, I left myself barely enough time to do the project. But growing up, there have always been something that I wanted to have. That is a book, with a secret storage chamber inside. 





At first I started out with a book, All-In-One CompTIA A+ Certification Exam Guide by self proclaimed "Alphageek" author Mike Myers, a Xacto Knife, and a Fiskars Rotary Cutter. 






I flipped through the book to find the prefect chapter in which I should start my cutting. What better chapter than Chapter 11 - Removable Media. So I flipped to page 415 and grabbed my Fiskars Rotary Cutter, and dug in to make my square. 






After about 2 hours of cut, trim, cut, trim, cut, trim... repeat 1500 times. 284 pages later, I had my "square." I was totally blown away by how hard it really was, to just cut a square into some of the crisp pages. Knowing that now, I would have gotten some Mod Podge Sealer, rubber cement or something that would make the book ridged and easier to cut. I could have also used some C-clamps to hold the book in place. Of course all of that would have had to have been thought out ahead of time. I now didn't have the time or forethought to complete such tasks. Even though Beth told us we might need to use something like that. 



So the final product is complete. The square is just big enough to hide a cell phone, USB chips, drugs, a flask, money, pictures, etc...

I wish I would have had enough time to do it the right way, but what I got, wasn't half bad. Plus I didn't lop off any fingers or get so much as a paper cut. So that was a success in my eyes. There were plenty of times that I thought, "Ummm... cut away from yourself you dumb ass!" I guess I got lucky, but hey, even the sun shines on a dogs ass from time to time. 

I got what I wanted, a seemingly boring book, with a secret hiding spot inside, and without doing damage to myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment